Friday, October 12, 2012

40 WEEKS OF ME- Week 11, UPDATE


I’m back. I say this with relief. My descent into funky town last Friday morning was a precursor to a weekend spent in bed with a cold. Achy, tired, sinus headache, yuck! No bike riding for me at all this week.

Oh, I guess I should update you on my progress. As those of you who have been following my 40 weeks posts know, I started this series on my 40th birthday. I gave myself certain goals that I wanted to accomplish.


  1. Quit smoking.
  2. Start exercising
  3. Be more open

I have now been cigarette free for 11 weeks. I had tried three or four times over the last seven years to quit, but I couldn’t. I think the difference this time is that I mentally prepared myself to quit. I set up a plan for myself to follow. I researched how nicotine withdrawal affects the body so I knew what symptoms to look for during each stage. This helped me to find ways to counter the psychological and physical aspects of quitting, like depression and cold symptoms.

I used the patch for three days, then went cold turkey. I had the mega pack of spearmint gum to help with the oral craving. I still have days where I really wish I could smoke a cigarette, but I know if I have one cigarette, I’ll convince myself it’s okay to have another. Then I’m stuck again.

I also started biking again the same weekend. I had five days off of work so each morning my father-in-law and I hit the road. For those who are bike riders you know that in the beginning it’s not so much the actual distance that is difficult. It’s that each day, you have to contend with the bruises on your posterior. Padded bike shorts are a life saver.
 
I am now riding three days a week. We rotate from fast days where we do the 8 miles through the park as fast as we can. Long days are where we try to go at least 15 miles. Speed isn’t a factor. I’m a huge fan of the “lets stop and take pictures of the wildflowers” portion of this ride. Hill days are brutal. ‘Nuff said.

Being open. Well, I’ve definitely done that. My rant last week was proof of this. I’m still having a hard time coming up with topics to write about for the blog. This may have to do with my having two stories in my head that are wanting to come out. I’m trying to decide which to go with for National Novel Writing Month (NaNo). I haven’t fallen in love with one idea over the other yet.

I have finished up most of my editing projects for my critique partners. They’re such talented people and their stories are so much fun. This last project, well, I honestly don’t want it to end. I’m so entertained by this world I’ve been sucked into. I even dream about it. Thanks, Joyce.

So, is anyone else gearing up for National Novel Writing Month? Have you made any goals for yourself for this year? How are you progressing on them?

6 comments:

  1. 3 days on the patch and then quitting altogether, wow! Way to go, Angie. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I had some wicked dreams for those three days, then ran out of patches :-( by the time I could buy more the nicotine was out of my system.

      Delete
  2. Hi Angie,

    I am gearing up for nano, and I'm pretty excited. This will be my first time. The one goal I've set for myself is to complete it:).
    I have been mapping out a story that I am pretty excited to release. If you decide to do let's keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have a blast with NaNo. I've never "won" NaNo. I've participated three years, but while I have come close, I have never hit 50 k in a month. Maybe this will be our year:-)

      Delete
  3. I am gearing for it. This is my first year. I'm spending October outlining and planning the book I want to write in November. Have fun and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Diane. Friend me on NaNo and I'll cheer you on:-)

      Delete

Now it's your turn. What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...