Friday, October 26, 2012

40 WEEKS OF ME- Week 13, Movies

Do you remember Video Home System (VHS)?

The day my dad brought home our VCR changed my life. We had two recorders set up in the living room. One would play the rental, and the other taped the movie. Each tape held four to five movies, and my job consisted of pressing the record button. Which meant I had to sit through a lot of movies. 

I had unusual taste, I guess. Campy, cheesy...movies I'm sorta embarassed to mention. Here is my top five favorite list of childhood movies.
 
Source
1. The Pirate Movie- not expecting this one, huh? It was a remake of Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirate's of Penzance. I can still sing these songs and recite the dialogue from memory. This movie came out in 1982, and it starred Christopher Atkins and Kristy McNichol. I had a crush on the Pirate King.







2. The Neverending Story- this movie came out in 1984. Whenever I hear the title the theme song goes through my head. Do you remember? The Neverending storyyyyy, ah ah ah ah.  It starred Noah Hathaway as Atreyu and Barret Oliver as Bastian. I love this movie. Love it so much I showed it to my kids, forgetting how dark it is. There are some scary scenes, like when the horse dies. Or, when the darkness attacks. Mega creepy.


SOURCE



3. Princess Bride- yeah, 'nuff said. If you don't know this show... Cary Elwes (pure hotness) as Westly, Robin Wright as Princess Buttercup. Some of the most iconic lines ever written are in this movie. I admit I liked the movie better than the book. Maybe if I had read the book first it would've been a different story.

SOURCE





4. The Goonies- this movie came out in 1985. My son loves it. I liked the book more than the movie, which is saying something since I adore the movie. Chunk, Data, Sloth. Best nicknames, ever.

SOURCE



5. Barbarians - in 1987, twin body builders Pete and Ron Paul played Kutchek and Gore (I had a crush on Gore) barbarian brothers who used the curse holy Isis, a lot. I knew this movie my heart. Don't hate me.






There are you go. My five favorite childhood movies. I could add: Dragonslayer, Krull, Conan the Barbarian, Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome (two man enta. One man leave), Willow, Time Bandits, Roots, The Color Purple, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark...the list goes on and on.

What were your favorite movies as a child? I'm curious about the not so famous ones. The ones you may be a little ashamed to admit to watching. Sure this is a 40 Weeks post, and I'm obligated to divulge embarrassing information about myself, but if you have the courage, please share so I'm not alone. 

7 comments:

  1. Looks like we totally geeked out to the exact same movies with the exception of Conan. And I had a huge crush on the other movie pirate king. Kevin Kline from Pirates of Penzance.

    Willow, you idiot. Who could forget Madmartigan? Hubba Hubba. Good times, eh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew we got along for a reason. Psychic twins.

      Delete
  2. Star Wars, The Neverending Story, and The Princess Bride are my match-ups. Other favs? Double Switch (modern retelling of The Prince and the Pauper), Diamond's Edge (British mystery where the detective it a bit of a ditz and it's his kid brother who does all the solving.) Labyrinth, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Crocodile Dundee III, The Boy Who Could Fly, and Anne of Green Gables.

    TV shows--now that could open up the can of embarrassment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about The Boy Who Could Fly. That was a good one. My hubby reminded me of Solar Babies. I watched it as an adult and it didn't have quite the same magic except nostalgia. Thanks for posting your list.

      Delete
    2. My husband just showed my Solar Babies for the first time two months ago! How funny. And yes, anything you see as an adult doesn't have the same magic as when you were a kid.

      Delete
  3. #2 and #3 are some of my fave movies of all time! Nice picks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Trisha. Hubby teased me mercilessly about my picks. He's forgetting I knew him back when he knew the line to The Princess Bride by heart.

    ReplyDelete

Now it's your turn. What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...