Wednesday, September 19, 2012

TO THE BEAUTIFUL YOU


I couldn’t decide which show I wanted to feature today. There are so many dramas playing right now. I’m watching four, ARANG AND THE MAGISTRATE, FAITH (aka The Great Doctor), NICE GUY(which recently started airing), and my favorite, TO THE BEAUTIFUL YOU.

Why is this series my favorite, you ask?

The comedy.

This series is so funny. I literally watch this show, trying not to laugh too loud. It produces gut clutching, tear running, snort-inducing laughter in me. How can I pass up something that makes me feel so happy?

Source
 
Now, don’t get mad at me for my favoritism. The other shows are also amazing, which is why I’m watching them. I don't invest in television shows which I don't find engaging. I usually know by the end of the first episode whether or not I'll continue with a series. And the only series I feature on this blog are ones I feel comfortable recommending because I enjoyed them.

Of course, not every opinion will fall in line with my own. You may hate these shows for the very reasons I like them. We're individuals. We make our own decisions. To quote my 10-year-old son, "How boring would the world be if we all thought the same way?" 

Source
 
Okay, back to why I love this series. Out of the three, I find this to be the funniest. I think Faith is the most mesmerizing (I love the costumes, setting, music, Lee Min Ho in armor…whew, I’ll review this series next week, I promise). But, it’s not as funny. And apparently, funny is what I need in my life right now.

I’m craving the sweet innocence of first love as expressed by these teenage characters. The acute contact embarrassment of watching the love interests flounder in the throes of raging horomones and identity crises without graphic sexual innuendo. 

So adorable. It's a series I can watch with my daughter without feeling like I have to yell, "Cover your eyes" every third scene. Totally refreshing.

Uh, what is the story about?
Geesh, I got so excited I forgot to give you a synopsis so you know what I’m gushing about. 

Source

Goo Jae Hee (Choi Seol Ri, Sulli), a Korean girl who lives in the United States, watches a track and field competition on TV. She is moved by one of the high jump competitors, Kang Tae Joo (Minho). He helps her through emotionally tough times, and she sets him on a pedestal.

Source
When he is injured, Jae Hee decides she has to help him. So she cuts her hair, forges transcripts, and moves to Korea where she poses as a boy at the all-boys Genie High School, where Kang Tae Joon is enrolled.

So, it's not exactly an unfamiliar plot arc. It’s been done to death in K-dramas like You Are Beautiful and Sungkyunkwan Scandal, but it proves that sometimes originality is based not on the overreaching arc but the small details.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn. What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...