Monday, April 18, 2011

My Game of Thrones Experience with the Kids in the House

After much anticipation the night arrived. I popped a bowl of popcorn, arranged my drink within easy reach, ushered the kids into their bedroom with the threat of losing all internet privileges if they stepped outside of the room, turned off the lights, and sat down to watch Game of Thrones in HD on our new flat screen. Decadent in the extreme.

So, wow! I loved Game of Thrones. They did a fantastic job of remaining true to the integrity of the book. I lost myself in the world HBO brought to life, and it didn't disappoint. The only thing that kept this from being the best series premiere watching night ever--my little angel.

Please, Lord. Help me survive the preteen years. I know it gets worse once they reach high school. I know, and I accepted this fact. But why didn't anyone warn me that the preteen girl-child can be just as stubborn. I know she gets it from someone--I blame my husband.

I'm pretty sure I forbade her from coming out of the room. I distinctly remember--upon pain of losing internet privileges--do not come into the living room. So why may I ask did end up yelling at my daughter (then feeling guilty when she looked so hurt, poor baby) when she came out of the room during and uncomfortable *cough* moment in the show to pet the dog.

                                          Catcher at 3 months old-2007

Really! Pet the dog. The show's only an hour, watch Netflix, play on the internet, entertain your little brother, read a book. Pet the dog after my show, please (because I don't want you scarred for life seeing people getting their heads chopped off and gutted. Let alone the graphic nudity).

Sigh. I took the kids to the park for the five hours to wear them out so I could have peace and quiet for one hour. Kids, love them to pieces, but they'll try and break you if they sense weakness. Guess they know which parent is the pushover in our family.

Wishing I could blame the husband for this one.

5 comments:

  1. Aww! At least she didn't walk out during the ending. Now, that's one lesson a kid shouldn't have to see.

    Good learning experience for the second episode. One whole week to plan a strategy. And hour with the Grandparents is never a bad idea. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, it was the outing to the park that did me in. We walked there and back, plus I went on a 6 mile bike ride. I was to exhausted to wait until 9 p.m. and watched the episode at 6.

    Lesson learned, take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. The grandparents are also hooked on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Angie, poor daughter. It's got to be a kid thing. We can get our kids all settled in for the night and they still come out of their room on any pretext to see what mom and dad are watching.

    Glad to hear GOT meets your expectations. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, too true. She testing the boundaries regarding what she's allowed to watch on TV. She's gravitating away from the Disney channel...

    Ah, missing the days when she loved the Wiggles. No adult content there.

    ReplyDelete

Now it's your turn. What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...